I really want to write about how good the NHS is, and usually it is. But, this week my local GP surgery made me nearly lose faith in it completely.

It all started on Monday morning when Squidge woke up with a weeping scalp. I asked hubby to make an appointment with the GP that day whilst I got the girls ready for school. I’m not sure what he said to them, but he excepted an appointment a week on Thursday, in my eyes not good enough. So on the way to school we pass the GP surgery and said we needed one today, they will call back, nothing unusual there. Get the call back and have an appointment that evening with a GP, good. We get there check in, check-in says appointment with GP, still good. We get called in by someone different, not a problem as they sometimes have trainee GP’s, she didn’t introduce herself, so I still assumed trainee GP. Only later into the appointment when she says she wants the GP to look at it, do I find out she is in fact a paramedic who has done the Minor Ailments course. How is she supposed to know medical problems, they don’t deal with them. I’m not happy, but we did see a GP, but he only followed what the paramedic thought (impetigo), and printed out a prescription.

Only when we get home do we realise that, one this paramedic was using someone else’s Smartcard (illegal), that the GP printed the prescription signed his name on someone else’s name (illegal). The prescription is invalid, and hubby complains to everyone (we all now have to change GP). So this means that on Tuesday we have to take a trip into town to see the Walk-in GP. When we get there at just after 10am, the waiting room  is full, and they told us it would be about a 90min wait. Two hours later we go in. The Nurse Practitioner was fab, really looked at her and said that last night diagnoses was wrong (wrong place, wrong type of scabs). She didn’t want to give Squidge antibiotics so prescribed her a medicated shampoo. Finally got home at 1pm for lunch. Then the fun of trying to find the prescription, some places didn’t have any, and others only had the larger size, it had to be ordered. Got the shampoo home after lunch on Wednesday, then the fun of applying it. Bless Squidge, she screamed the house down just when I poured the water on her head, yes I checked the temp on lower parts of her head, that was fine. Then she screamed again when I put the shampoo on the infected parts, you have to leave it in for two to three mins. Bless her, I started rinsing the lower parts before the two mins was up, as she was crying the whole way though. She got some posh chocolate biscuits when she was out the bath. We have to re-do the treatment again on Saturday, then twice weekly, then once a week until healed. We are not really sure what is wrong with Squidge, but we think it is dermatitis

Hubby is in the process of making a complaint to the Ombudsman about the care we received and the laws that they have broken. In the meantime we are looking for another GP (one who preferably doesn’t employ paramedics), there is one that would mean a bus ride, bus stop outside our house, and goes past the GP surgery and they have vacancies. But any Healthcare provider I have spoken to about what happened are appalled at what they did, so the new GP may be OK. I need to make sure I have a stock of medication to last me, so I don’t run out before it can be re-sorted.